North Staffs Association
The Association holds two striking competitions each year: a six-bell contest and an eight-bell contest.
And starting in 2015 a Lichfield Diocese striking contest is also held.
Results of six-bell competitions
Results of eight-bell competitions
Lichfield Diocese competitions
Six Bell Contest
Eight Bell Contest
- The competition is open to any Sunday service band within the Archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent.
- The venue(s) will be decided each year by the committee.
- A tower may enter more than one team. No person may ring in more than one team.
- Each team may include one visitor.
- The order of ringing will be decided before the competition by any method the committee
decides and a representative of each team will be notified.
- The test piece will consist of 120 or 240 changes of method ringing (Minor or Doubles) or
alternatively 4 or 8 minutes of call changes. The length of the test piece will be
decided according to the number of teams entering. If the shorter test piece is used,
each team will have 15 minutes to complete both practice and test piece; if the longer
test piece is used each team will have 20 minutes to complete both practice and test piece.
- If call changes are rung every bell except the tenor must be called to lead and no bell shall
be called to move more than one place at a time.
- The signal to the judge(s) to begin marking the test piece is the ringing of the treble bell
for two whole pulls. The rounds before and after the test piece will be marked. Failure to
stand will not be penalised.
- Any team failing to complete the test piece at the first attempt (for other than mechanical reasons)
shall be eliminated from the competition.
- The winning team will be presented with the Anderson Trophy. The Archdeacon Borrett Cup will be
awarded by the committee for merit. Both trophies are to be retained for one year and then returned
to the Honorary Secretary.
- The decision of the judge(s) is final.
Rules 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 11 are the same as for the six-bell competition.
- Each team may include one or two visitors.
- The test piece will consist of at least 224 changes of method ringing (Triples or Major)
or 8 minutes of call changes, all changes being marked. Each team will have 20 minutes to
complete both practice and test pieces.
These rules have been varied to suit the circumstances of each year's competition.
The main variation is the inclusion of joint teams where there are insufficient teams available under
the rules listed. Such variations are informal and do not set a precedent for future contests.
The current variations are:
- Scratch bands be allowed at each competition but not to win the shield. Members will be able to
ring in up to two bands: one "tower" and one "scratch".
- The Archdeacon Borrett Cup should be awarded for merit at the discretion of the Committee (six bell only).
We have agreed that if any scratch bands apply in advance to take part, we do our best to inform them
in good time as to whether or not we can accommodate them in the competition.
We will also be looking to arrange one or two scratch bands on the day.